Kingscote Goods Yard.It is planned that the Goods Yard area at Kingscote will be converted to recreate a typical station Goods Yard from the 1950s. See image above.
Summer 2016 updateLes Haines has written an article about the Goods Yard project for the Summer 2016 Friends of Kingscote Newsletter. A copy is available here.
The Goods Shed
The Kingscote Goods Shed was originally sited at Horsted Keynes. It is believed that it was built in 1890 when Goods facilities were provided along the line. It was extended to its current size in about 1920.
The Cattle Pens
During 2012 the cattle pens were built on the dock. It is envisaged that this will be followed by the construction of two LB&SCR style buildings for use as a Coal Office and a museum/workshop. Some buildings currently occupying the site will be removed. Coal staithes will be built and the ex-Singleton yard crane installed. The crane will be used to demonstrate loading and un-loading wagons.
The labour and materials to build the cattle pens was provided free of charge by Mears Ltd under their Corporate Social Responsibility scheme.
The two pictures below show the area as it was in August 2008.