34062424

Recent Accessions and News Update

The Museum is always trying to enhance the collection with the acquisition of appropriate material. Items arrive in the Museum on loan, by donation or purchase from Museum funds. This page will include some recent donations, purchases and other news about the Museum.

Silver Arrow

Leaflet Rack

Displayer
  SILVER ARROW - In May 1963, British United Airways (BUA) began a twice-daily rail-air-rail service between London Victoria and Paris Gare du Nord. The service ran from Victoria Station to Gatwick Airport, then by BUA to Le Touquet Airport, and on by train to Paris Gare du Nord station. The entire journey took five hours. The service was withdrawn in 1994 on the opening of the Channel Tunnel. The finger board on display is from Victoria Station.

GOLDEN ARROW - The original golden arrow displayed would have been attached to the side of an unmodified Bulleid pacific, like Bluebell’s ‘Blackmore Vale’, when hauling the Golden Arrow Pullman train.


The SECR leaflet rack, kindly donated to the Museum by the Carriage Shop at Horsted Keynes, is now on display opposite the LBSCR version and doing its job again providing leaflets.


DISPLAYER - A wall displayer has been installed by the exit door containing information about the Museum and Railway.

Stowe

Greenwich

Blackheath
  Another smokebox numberplate from a Bluebell engine has returned to the Museum. Stowe has returned to be added to the six we already have. We thank the family of Stuart Burrell for donating this lovely item to the Museum.




Two destination enamels from London Bridge have recently been acquired to add to the two enamels we already have on display.

SER bits SECR carafe   We would like to thank Chris Wilson who obtained a superb set of SECR item for display in the Museum. The images show:- two SER clothes brushes, an SECR match stricker, a crested London Chatham & Dover Railway Company pickle fork, an SECR warning horn, an SECR small carafe and a South Eastern Railway, Deal Hotel stamped brass bowl.
SECR Rack The lovely SECR leaflet rack will complement the LBSCR one already on display. The Carriage Shop at Horsted Keynes funded all these purchases and we thank those who work there raising money to enable the Museum, and other parts of the Railway, to obtain such superb items.

LBSCR Map   C class

All smokeboxes

Pot
Three new items displayed in the Museum.

An original framed LB&SCR map showing the route of trains from London to Paris via Newhaven.

The original smokebox number plate from our C class locomotive. As with many items in the Museum we are indebted to Barry Jones for loaning us this item. We now have 6 Bluebell original somkebox number plates on display plus the Correll Queen nameplate from the B4.

A glass conductor rail pot made by Pilkington's. Believed to be an experimental design used on the Seaford branch in 1935. Purchased from Museum funds.

Mouse Mouse For the new quiz two mice have been hidden in display cases in the Museum. More information about the quiz can be found here.

Sugar Bowl Plate LSWR band Card

Lamp Lighting
  The Sugar Bowl is unusual because it has the ships name included in the crest, the SS Brittany. The LBSCR owned two ships with that name. The first was built in 1882 and sold in 1902. The second built in 1910 for the Newhaven - Caen service but sold two years later to the LSWR. Eventually sold to an Italian shipping company in 1937, the Brittany was sunk by HMS Triumph in 1941.

The Newhaven - Caen plate was from one of the LBSCR ships on that route. Caen is 15 kilometers inland from the port of Ouistreham. The SS Brittany and SS Normandy operated this service.

The LSWR Servants Band uniform badge.

A postally used card advertising the Newhaven - Dieppe service.

The small enamel plate gives the lighting times throughout the year. Not railway but made by a company near Lewes.

All five items purchased from Museum funds.

Mouse Mouse For the new quiz 2 mice have been hidden in display cases in the Museum. More details of the quiz are here.

Crest   This large, 28" diameter, cast iron LBSCR Coat of Arms would have been attached to a bridge or some other structure during the building of a part of the railway in 1865. The original location of this item is unknown though two exist on the bridge which carries the Battersea Park to Clapham Junction line over Battersea Park Road by the entrance to the station.

The Museum is very grateful to the Carriage Shop at Horstead Keynes which funded, in full, this purchase. The following is taken from their Facebook page.
 
Cheque   "We are pleased to announce that on Sunday 5th March 2017 the Carriage Shop proudly donated £1,500 to the Bluebell Railway Museum to fund the acquisition of an original London, Brighton & South Coast Railway artefact which is now on display in the Museum at Sheffield Park Station. Peter Allibone a long-standing Carriage Shop volunteer presented the donation cheque to Tony Hillman Assistant Curator of the museum. Thank you to all those that have purchased books, models or other items from the Carriage Shop at Horsted Keynes which has made this donation possible."

You can read more about the Carriage Shop on their Facebook page at:- https://www.facebook.com/BluebellRailwayCarriageShop

Dulwich   We are pleased to have been able to obtain the presentation photograph of Schools Class Dulwich which was given to the College by the Southern Railway when the Locomotive was named. It is a large framed photograph, over 4' x 2', and will hang in the Record and Research Centre.
This splendid addition to the Bluebell collection was originally obtained by Graham Mallinson when the College were throwing it away. Graham's father taught Chemistry at the College and Graham was a student there.

Temporarily, the photograph hangs in the General Manager's Office.

Purchased from Museum funds.

Box Notice   Flash Dish   Sugar Bowl   Torch
Four new items to be displayed in the Museum, from left to right.

An original framed LB&SCR notice dated 1900 from the Signal Box at Sheffield Park. The notice states that there is one signalman and his hours of duty are 10:30 AM till 8:00 PM both on weekdays and weekends.
A sweet dish showing the Southern Railway Electric Flash logo. Such items would be used on the Southern Electric Pullman services.
A sugar bowl. Of unusually plain and fuctional design showing the usual Southern Railway logo.
An early torch. Not made by the Southern Railway but the front is engraved SHEFFIELD PARK. Probably used in the signal box.

Purchased from Museum funds.

Bowls Medal   The Bowls medal was presented to D Powell the captain of one of the losing semi-final teams in the 1935 All Line Bowls Competition. He was captain of the team from Raynes Park Sports Club which along with Croydon lost to Newhaven and Eastleigh in the semi-finals. Eastleigh won the competition.

Purchased from Museum funds.

Lamp   The Museum has obtained one of the LBSCR station lamps from Newick & Chailey station. The lamp includes the original LBSCR reservoir and burner as well as the Newick & Chailey lamp tablet. The lamp is shown on display in the Museum after being restored by the Curator, Tony Drake.

We are very grateful to Barry Jones who brokered the deal to obtain the lamp and donated it to the Museum.

Clock   We are pleased that the opportunity arose to buy back the Horsted Keynes South Box clock. Many years ago this clock was given to a member to replace a clock he had loaned the Railway which was subsequently stolen.

Purchased from Museum funds.

ACE   The headboard from the Atlantic Coast Express, which ran from Waterloo to the West Country. The most multi-portioned train in England with coaches for Padstow, Plymouth, Sidmouth etc.

Donated by Tony Dellar.

Hot Water Jug   A hot water jug has been purchased from Museum funds to add to the collection of Newhaven - Dieppe shipping silverware. The image shows the jug, along with the sugar bowl and teapot.

Tin Hat   A WW2 helmet, marked SR on rear. Either used by the Southern Railway Home Guard or in a works area.

Purchased from Museum funds.

The smokebox number 30724 and the framed images are now on display in the Museum. The citation reads:-

"This smokebox numberplate was donated to the Bluebell Railway by Anthony Mallinson in memory of his father Graham Mallinson.

Graham was a life member and volunteer in the Museum Photographic Archive. He was tragically killed in the Shoreham Air Disaster on 22 August 2015.

The original smokebox number plate 30724 is from a London and South Western Railway T9 class locomotive.

The T9 was Graham's favourite class of locomotive."
  T9


Graham

Sugar Bowl   A Newhaven - Dieppe silverplated sugar bowl.

Purchased from Museum funds.

RRC Case   Some items from the Museum Archive have been put on display close to the exit door in the Museum. The display shows paperwork and a rolling display of photographic images from the JJ Smith collection.

The Archive contains a huge number of items of which currently over 30,000 have been catalogued.

Kingscote Goods Yard Project - Summer 2016 update

Les Haines has written an article about the Goods Yard project for the Summer 2016 Friends of Kingscote Newsletter. A copy is available here.


BR map   Spoon   Cashbook   Three new items for the Museum. The illuminated BR Map was donated and has been restored by Museum Curator Tony Drake. The SR Marine sifting spoon is used to sprinkle sugar. Unfortunately the Croydon and Oxted Line cash book has had what information it might of contained, removed. These two items were purchased from Museum funds.

Carafe   A LBSCR carafe or water jug. Purchased from Museum funds.

SP plan

Joe Kent
  Many of the original plans from the Bluebell Railway have been scanned, in colour, and copies are available for purchase. Copies are available in sizes A1 and A3. A1 is approximately the original size. A3 is far more manageable and still very clear and readable. Click here for more details.



The Joe Kent collection of photographs has been added to the photograph collection. For almost twenty years from 1946, Joe photographed steam locomotives working at various locations, including mainline stations and yards around London and the South of England. Click here for more details.

Doorplate

Hat
  Southern Railway Musical Society doorplate and a Brighton Railway Saillor's hat.

Purchased from Museum funds.

Withyham SBB   The final diagram from the Withyham signal box prior to closure. It is interesting to see how the signal box had been downgraded in the final years with many of the levers being taken out of use. Only the two levers locking the level crossing plus one each for the Up and Down Home signals being in use. The Distance signals have been fixed and the points to the siding clipped.

Purchased from Museum funds.

Golf Cup   The sterling silver cup is inscribed Southern Railway Golfing Society, Szlumper Challenge Cup, won by A.G.Harmer 1930. The Szlumper refered to is Alfred Weeks Szlumper who was the first Chief Engineer of the Southern Railway and father of G S Szlumper the Southern Railway Assistant General Manager.

Purchased from Museum funds.

Decanter   St John Horse Brass

Three new items purchased by the Museum.
A large fully crested London, Chatham and Dover Decanter.
A A brass plaque re Southern Railway St Johns Ambulance competition.
A London, Chatham and Dover Horse Brass.


Accreditation   The Museum has had its Arts Council Accreditation renewed from March 2016. The process of getting Accredited is a huge amount of work which took over a year to complete. Our thanks go to the members of the Museum Management Committee, especially Tony Drake & Mike Priestly, who put in many many hours to achieve this. The wording on the certificate, which is displayed in the Museum, states:-

The Accreditation Scheme sets nationally agreed standards for UK museums. To qualify museums must meet standards on how they are managed, for the services they offer and how they care for collections.

Corrall Queen   The Corrall Queen nameplate has been added to the selection of Bluebell Engine numberplates in the Museum. The B4 was named Corrall Queen when sold to Corrall's for use on Southampton Docks. The nameplate, and engine, are now owned by the Bulleid Society.

Dairy words   An interpretation board has been attached to the fence near the footbridge at Sheffield Park to explain the earlier use of the Woodpax site as a Dairy and Sawmill. A 2' gauge track ran fom the dairy to the platform by where the Bulleid Shop now stands.

LBSCR Salt   LBSCR Newhaven - Dieppe silver plated Salt dish.

Purchased by the Museum.

Oxted Line   Mounted transfer from the side of rolling stock from Network South East days on the East Grinstead line.

Purchased by the Museum.

Post Box   Post Box   Post Box


The original postbox from West Hoathly Station has been obtained through the generosity of the Carriage Shop at Horsted Keynes. It became available at very short notice and we thank the Barry Jones for helping with the purchase. It is currently in store awaiting a suitable location to be displayed.

As can be seen the collection time plate is not correct.

9F 92240   On behalf of the Bluebell Trust, Bill Brophy and Sam Bee receive the original smokebox numberplate for 92240 from Mrs Tomkins on 21 February 2016. The numberplate is now included in the Museum display of original numberplates from Bluebell engines. The others are:- USA 30064, E4 32473, B4 30096 and Terrier 32636.

We thank Mrs Tomkins for donating the numberplate to the Bluebell.

The photograph shows the 9F on the wash-out pit with both the original and replica numberplates.

Ladle   Southern Railway Marine ladle. Purchased by the Museum for display with the London, Chatham and Dover Gravy Boat.

Conductor Beam
 
On 23 February 1979 4SUB electric unit 4862 left Hampton Court at 13:13 for Waterloo. The driver passed a red signal at Hampton Court Junction and the train hit the rear of a Basingstoke to Waterloo service. The leading coach of the Hampton Court service left the track and ended up down the embankment. The conductor beam deatched in the impact and was not recovered by British Railways. It was later found in bushes at the bottom of the embankment and donated to the Bluebell Museum. More details and pictures of the damaged train are on display in the Museum.

Menu with holder   A lunch menu from 21st September 1939.

Purchased by the Museum and on display in the recently purchased holder.

Horse Brass Menu Holder

Jug
  Two recent purchases from Museum funds and a donated item. The SEC horse brass complements the SCR version already on display in the Museum. The menu holder was used on one of the Cross Channel ferries and is marked with the Southern Railway shipping crest. The Southern Railway shipping milk jug was donated by a Bluebell member.

Brighton Departure enamels   The Museum has recently acquired, on loan, a set of Bluebell Line enamel plates from the Brighton Station Departure Board. The seven plates (from Barcombe northwards to Kingscote and also Ardingly) are now included within the Museum's drawer display on this subject. The Museum already owned a number of these plates including East Grinstead. The plates are on loan from the late Jim Budd Collection (a former BR signalman at Ardingly, Haywards Heath, and latterly, Barnham) courtesy of his nephew, a Bluebell life member.

Dog outside Museum  
Dog Bracket

A London Brighton & South Coast Railway bracket has been attached to the outside wall of the Museum. Originally used in the Signals & Telegraph Department it now acts as a place to tie dogs while their owners are in the Museum. Dogs, other than assistance dogs, are not allowed in the Museum.

Withyham Box   The display in the Withyham Signal Box is now complete.

More information is here

Billiard Table   A miniature Billiard/Snooker table presented by the Southern Railway for interdepartmental competition by G S SZLUMPER ESQ CBE. It includes silver medallions dating from 1927-34 to various departments (Commercial/Engineers/Operating).

Purchased by the Museum.


LSWR cable   Paperweight in brass case containing a piece of the type of high power cable used in the first third rail electrification from Waterloo in 1915. The paperweight was presented by Siemens, the cable manufacturer.

Purchased by the Museum.


WW1 staff   List of Brighton Railway staff awarded Honours and Decorations in World War One.

Purchased by the Museum.


WW1 staff   Iconic poster from 1947 by Pat Keely.

Purchased by the Museum.


WW1 staff   SS Falaise pewter trinket box. The Falaise operated on the Newhaven to Dieppe route.

Purchased by the Museum.


Trolley

  The Museum is setting up a display by the footbridge on platform 2 at Sheffield Park to explain to visitors how the Woodpax site was previously used. A 2' gauge tramway ran from the dairy to platform 2 for the conveyance of milk churns for forwarding by train. The cobbles in front of the Bulleid Shop was where the churns were loaded and unloaded. The first part of the Museum display is now in place and consists of a trolley and a short section of 2' gauge track. A display panel containing pictures and explanation will follow.

32636

Smokebox numberplate from Fenchurch

Purchased from Museum funds with a substantial contributions from the Carriage Shop at Horsted Keynes.
  Though it is well known that the locomotive arrived at the Bluebell with the Smokebax plate attached it was given as a gift to the person who donated the money to purchase the engine.

It will now be displayed in the Museum.

WW2a WW2b   A bundle of troop and naval movement notices dated around the declaration of WW2. These show train movements around the country from the south of England. A unique record not seen before.

Purchased by members of the Archive Group.


25 Oct 2014   Three recent items.
SECR Flare Lamp.
SER Coffe Pot, also marked Frederick Hotels
SR Mustard Spoon from Deal Hotel

Purchased by the Museum.


Collectors Badge   Southern Railway Orphanage Collectors' Badge

Purchased by the Museum.


CuffLinks   Jug   Tea Strainer   LBSCR Cast
Four recently purchased items.
Cuff Links for sale to passengers on SR ships.
Water jug from the South Western Hotel Southampton.
Tea Strainer marker SR.
LBSCR Bridge ownership identification plate.

Purchased by the Museum using money donated by a well wisher.

bandolier1   bandolier1   LBSCR Guards Bandolier Buckle.

Purchased by the Museum with a 40% donation from the Carriage Shop at Horsted Keynes.


wh enamel   Enamel plate from the Victoria departure board. The Museum already owns the plate for Shefield Park and Horsted Keynes.

Purchased by the Museum.

Horse Box Lamp   An LBSCR horse box lamp. To be included in the newly set up cartage display.

On loan.

Horse and Cart   A Southern Railway advertising model. To be included in the newly set up cartage display.

Purchased by the Museum with a 50% donation from the Carriage Shop at Horsted Keynes.

HK enamel   Enamel plate from the Victoria departure board. The Museum already owns the plate for Shefield Park.

Purchased by the Museum.

c66 nameplate in Museum

The duplicate plate on the wall of the Museum.
  c66 nameplate on loco

One of the nameplates attached to the locomotive. Photo by Andrew Strongitharm.
  Following the naming on the Class 66 locomotive Bluebell Railway at Horsted Keynes on 28 March 2013, GBRf the owners of the locomotive presented a duplicate nameplate to the Bluebell Railway. The locomotive had hauled the first train from Victoria to Sheffield Park in preservation.


Signal Box   Though not yet complete the Withyham Signal Box is now open for visitors when a Steward is in the Museum. Under supervision visitors can pull the levers. There are display panels describing the box and how it was used.


Updated August 2015.
The box is now complete, a description of the box is here.

Accession 29 Accession 30   Two items put on display the same day. The Southern Sales League Ashtray was purchased by the Museum. The SECR armband was kindly donated by a visitor.

Accession 25 Accession 26   Two SECR items. A tin plate advertisement detailing Cross Channel services and a magnifying glass marked SECR Loco Dept.

Purchased by the Museum.

Accession 27 Accession 28   Two of eleven model signals, scale 1.5 inch to 1 foot. Each can be operated with the attached minature frame.

Generously donated by Mr R Coffin who made the signals.

Accession ww1   A LBSCR WW1 service badge. All the Pre-Grouping Companies provided these badges to staff but for some unknown reason the LBSCR version is incrediably rare.

Purchased by the Museum.

Accession mac   A British Railways totem sign from Machynlleth was found in the East Grinstead tip and has been presented to the Museum. The photograph, showing digger driver Darren Poulton, was taken on 4 March 2011.

Accession 23   A pair of LSWR gradient arms from Evercreech New on the Somerset & Dorset Railway. They will be used in the new Museum display.

Purchased by the Museum.

Accession 24  

A very unusual enamel sign, donated to the Museum a while ago by a member. It has now been restored. We believe this to be a very early Pullman sign.

Accession 22  


One of 17 unusual advertising enamel signs recently donated to the Museum. It is hoped that all will find a place to be displayed on the Railway.

Accession 21  


A very unusual SECR poster, dated 1919.

Purchased by the Museum.

Paris

For some time, the Museum has had two model paddle steamers on loan from the National Railway Museum. Recently, after a survey by NRM staff, it was decided that each required some preservation work. The ships sailed off to the Science Museum for this work to be done and returned on Wednesday 15th September. The ships are in the new Museum at Sheffield Park.
  Whippingham

PS Whippingham is seen above and PS Paris to the left. Click on the names for more information. Paris.     Whippingham.

Accession 20   Single line staff from the Cuckoo Line. Purchased at auction and donated by a member for the signalling display in the new Museum.

Accession 19   Smokebox number 30582 from an Adams Radial tank. (The Bluebell Adams was numbered 30583 by British Railways).

Purchased by the Museum.

Accession 18   A superb O gauge model of a Brighton Atalntic in LBSCR livery.

Generously donated to the Museum by a Bluebell Member.

Accession 17   LBSCR poster advertising the Cross Channel route via Newhaven - Dieppe. The model ship Paris, which the Museum has on loan from the National Railway Museum, operated this route.

Purchased by the Museum.

Accession 16   A bound copy of the South Eastern Railway timetables for 1853. Twelve individual months bound together probably for use in the Railway Offices.

Purchased by the Archive.

Accession 15   Not actually a new accession but a refurbished one. London Jack has been collecting money for Woking Homes for many years and before taking his place in the new museum it was decided to give him a well earned face lift.

While the new museum is being built London Jack will be on show in the Museum room at Horsted Keynes.

You can read more about Jack HERE.

Accession 14   One of three Southern Railway waiting room benches previously in use at Worplesdon station.

All three have been donated to the Museum by South West Trains when they were replaced by modern metal versions. Two will be used in the waiting room area of the new museum with the third in the museum area at Horsted Keynes.

Accession 13   Enamel plate from the Southern Railway train departure board at Victoria.

Generously donated to the Museum by a Bluebell Member.

Accession 12   LB&SCR wood/bone whistle on chain.

Purchased by the Museum.

A similar Southern Railway whistle has recently been donated to the Museum.


Accession 11   Brighton Railway Guide for Easter 1914.

Purchased by the Archive.


Accession 10   Nameplate from Electro-Diesel 73004.

Purchased for the Museum.


Accession 09   A superb LB&SCR Cap Badge.

Generously donated to the Museum by a Bluebell Member.


Accession 08   1950s poster giving very visual information about the time taken to travel on the Atlantic Coast Express to Devon and Cornwall.

Purchased by the Museum.


Accession 07   Southern Railway ships flag based on the naval Red Ensign. The flag was used on the Cross Channel ferries between Dover and Calais or Dunkerque and included sailings of the GOLDEN ARROW and the NIGHT FERRY.

Purchased by the Museum.


Accession 06   Four pre-grouping publications from the LB&SCR and SE&CR. The Brighton Railway Homes booklet gives details of residential locations served by the Brighton. The three SE&CR booklets list places to visit for holidays, the route to the Continent and the annual report of the St John’s Ambulance, SE&CR section.

Puchased by the Archive.


Accession 05   A glass paperweight produced by the LB&SCR for the Southern Belle. Almost impossible to photograph, the words etched into the glass read “LONDON BRIGHTON & SOUTH COAST RAILWAY - The Southern Belle Limited Pullman - The last word in luxurious travel - VICTORIA & BRIGHTON in 60 Minutes Each Way - Weekdays & Sundays”. Puchased by the Museum.


Accession 04   A London, Brighton & South Coast Railway handlamp. It is stamped YARD BOX NEW CROSS.

Generously donated to the Museum by a Bluebell member.


Accession 01   Purchased as part of an end of collection auction lot, these six pages of foolscap paper make the case for British Railways to close the branch line between East Grinstead and Lewes. The savings effected by closure are £68,000 against a lose of revenue etc at £9,000. A re-typed PDF version of the document, without appendices, is available HERE.

This document will be lodged in the reference section of the archive.


Accession 02   These plaques replaced the clock over the doorways at either end of the Pullman Car. Fingall, running on the Bluebell Railway, has had the clocks replaced so returning it to its original condition. The Museum was fortunate to be able to purchase both Fingall plaques.


Accession 03   In the new Museum there will be a section on transport predating railways. This piece of original Croydon, Merstham and Godstone Tramway dates from c1805 will be included in this section. Purchased by the Museum.